…I did not say these things to you at the beginning, because I was with you.
But now I go my way to him who sent me; and none of you asks me, Where do you go?
But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you. But if I depart, I will send him to you.
And when he has come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
- Of sin, because they do not believe on me
- Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and you see me no more
- Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when the Spirit of truth has come:
- He will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatever he shall hear, that shall he speak.
- He will show you things to come.
- He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine and shall show it to you. All things that the Father has are mine: therefore I said, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it to you.
- He shall testify of me: And you also shall bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning. (John 15:26-27)
A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me, because I go to the Father.
Some of his disciples (among themselves): What is this that he says to us, “A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me”: and, “Because I go to the Father?”
Some of his disciples: What is this that he says, “A little while?” we cannot tell what he says.
Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him.
Jesus: Do you enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and you shall not see me: and again, a little while, and you shall see me? Truly, you shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and you shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
A woman when she is in travail has sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembers no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.
And you now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and no man takes your joy from you.
And in that day you shall ask me nothing. Truly, whatever you shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name: ask, and you shall receive, that your joy may be full.